Friday, November 6, 2009

Books That I am Reading/Want to Read

In between the mounting chaos and perilous journeys of the mind, body and soul that I have experienced over the last two months either corporeally or otherwise, I never lost sight of the books that I have been perusing (or stacking about me in piles, neat piles, however). They include but are not limited to:

The Selected Writings of Lafcadio Hearn
Selected Poems of Luis de Gongora

Selected Poems of Antonio Machado

sample:

We thought that we could
make our love a grand festival,
kindle new aromas
on unknown mountains,
and hide the secret
of our pallid faces,
because in the Bacchanalia of life
our cups are always empty
while the golden juices of the vine
laugh with a crystalline and foamy echo.
A bird hidden among the branches
of the lonely park
whistles mockingly…
We squeeze
the shadow of a dream into our glass…
And something that is earth in our flesh feels
the moisture of the garden like a caress.

Deep Play by Diane Ackerman (a monumental book IMHO)

Deep adj. Play n. : 1. A state of unselfconscious engagement with our surroundings 2. An exalted zone of transcendence over time 3. A state of optimal creative capacity

Fantasists on Fantasy (highly recommended, especially Moorcock's essay on humor in Fantasy)
The Philosopher and the Wolf by Mark Rowlands (given to me by a friend)

I am also teaching myself conversational French (no kidding!), though with my schedule the way it already is this seemingly will only be accomplished if I am able to duplicate myself. I'll have to read a book on that latter process... I'll let you know how it goes... :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Comment? Allez-vous? Tres bien!
Je ne parle qu'un petit peu de français aussi. Est-ce que tout va bien? Il est bon d'avoir de vos nouvelles encore.

À tout à l'heure,
Grendel-loup

Rob Kuntz said...

Je suis bien! O Bon de vous entendre aussi, Grendel.

Merci et à bientôt

AndreasDavour said...

That reminds me of something I once tried, but stopped because I only had 24 hours a day... :)

Endymion said...

I still have some books on my shelf to help me learn Classical Greek. I've wanted to read Homer in the original but, as Andreas says, there isn't enough time in the day, so all I currently read is . . . well . . . not much. However, besides the stuff I'm reading for work (which recently included Spencer's Faerie Queene, much more amazing than I remembered from 20 years ago), I'm reading John Carter's Mars Chronicles, Morris' Well at the World's End, the Bible (just past the Books of Moses, now) and Gibbon's Decline and Fall (but, to be honest, I stalled 1/2 way through it about 10 years ago -- but I just can't admit defeat) . . . . I've also got some other classic fantasy: the Amber Chronicles, Karl Wagner. a few others. I have just a few Lovecraft's to go, too -- his later, longer stories. Books should be read in bunches, I think.